Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"DON'T EAT THOSE!!!"

   This morning I got up and decided to make Chocolate Chip Muffins to go with our yogurt for breakfast.  Its been awhile since I've made them.  Christian and I used to make them together a couple times a week.  I started mixing up the ingredients.  I dug in my cabinet for the baking soda and found some in a small baby food jar sitting next to the original box of baking soda.  I'd remember that I'd used it, and a few other ingredients in a craft for my Sunday School some time back and decided to use up what was in the jar first before opening a new box.  I noticed it looked a little more grainier than normal baking soda, so I tasted it to be sure.  Yep, it tasted just like baking soda!  So I added it to the mixing bowl.  As I was scooping the batter into the muffin tin, I noticed that the batter looked a little thicker than normal.  I again tried to shove off the feeling, but it kept nagging at me.  I slide the pan into the oven and soon we began to smell the beautiful scent of baking muffins!  Audra started fussing so I put her in her high chair with some grapes.  A few minutes later I pulled the muffins from the oven and began popping them out of the tins.  Once again, I noticed they just didn't look normal.  They hadn't raised as well as they usually do, and when I broke one apart to cool for Audra, I noticed that it seemed heavy and doughy.  I tasted it, and well, it seemed okay, just not quite as flavorful as normal.  I put a muffin on two plates, cut up a peach beside them, and placed them in front of Christian and Audra.  We prayed over those muffins, and I went back to the sink.  That's when it hit me!!!!   BORAX!!!!!!!!   It was NOT baking soda I'd used in that craft, but borax!!!!!   I flew back to the table and grabbed up the kids plates out from under them, and snatched Christian's muffin from his hand just as he raised it to his open mouth, ready to take a big bite out of it.  They both gave me a startled look as if I was crazy!  Maybe I was.  :)  Next time, I'll definitely listen a little closer to those nagging feelings.  There's normally something to them in cases like this.  :)  I promised Christian some "good" muffins, and went back to my mixer to whip up a batch with baking soda instead of soap!  :)  The second batch was perfect.  :) 

The real thing.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment