Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Andy's Trip to Vietnam

   This is a shock to me!  Andy and I have been apart only twice that I can think of in the 9 years we've been married.  This Vietnam trip is going to last 17 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG days and as many LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG nights!   I don't think I like it.  He left on Monday so this is only day two of the trip.  I've got 15 more to go!   Andy is excited about this great opportunity, but at the same time concerned about me and the kids being here alone, especially with me expecting.  Nothing is going to happen most likely, but still, if it does, he's half way around the world.  So I know he's having a little bit of trouble with the separation as well.  I pray he doesn't get sick, that the plane doesn't go down, that he doesn't get eaten by sharks if it does, etc, etc, etc.  Okay, I'm paranoid.  :)  I know he'll be okay.  I just want him back as soon as possible!
   My first night alone, I tossed and turned and didn't fall asleep til at least 2:00am.  I kept hearing those bumps in the night that don't have a name.  They just make noises you've never noticed before, and when you go hunting for the source, it quits whenever you get close.  Very annoying!  And very nerve wracking! 
   But actually, I'm keeping so busy during the day, I hardly have time to think about Andy being gone.  I've tried to spend a lot of time with the kids since I don't have to do any big cooking or major cleaning while Andy's gone.  Not that I'm starving the kids, and letting my house go to pieces.  :)  I'm just not worried about what time I get supper on, or how big and ornate it is.  When we get hungry, we eat something special that everyone likes and then we're done.  The kids don't eat much and I don't have much of an appetite right now, so its working out wonderfully.  :) 
   I HAVE been doing the laundry though!!!!!  I'm taking this opportunity while Andy's away and I have a little extra time on my hands to potty train Christian.  We started today and I'm taking him potty about every 20 mins.  I got rid of all the diapers and by passed the pull-ups, and went straight to underwear.  We went to Walmart and he picked out what kind he wanted...Thomas the train of course.  :)  Then we had a big chat about how nasty its going to feel when he mess in those VERY THIN underwear.  I also told him that when he doesn't make any more messes in his pants, then he can start going places with Daddy more often.  We're also going to take him to the big children's museum in Indy as a reward for being completely trained!  He loves the idea!  Day one is coming to a close and we've only had three wet pants!  I call that progress.  Considering I'm taking him to the potty every 20 min. that's pretty good.  And he's telling me when he has to go, and we even managed to make it to the potty with his big stinky mess during his nap time.  Its getting to where when he does mess, he feels terrible and embarrassed about it.  I think he's catching on.  I'm so proud of him.  I know we'll have some more accidents, but I'm very encouraged.  After just one day at it and he's doing so very well!  BUT, I am doing the laundry.  Three sets of messy clothes, and one big batch of bedding and blankets so far.  I'm sure the bedding with be in the wash again a few more times before all this is said and done.  I'm willing to do it though.  Some folks say put a diaper or pull-up on them at night, but I think I'll try just sticking with the underwear for now.  He's doing so well, I don't want to go backwards by bringing out the diapers again.  That's what babies wear now, and I don't want him going backward.  I'm hoping he'll be completely done by the time Andy comes home!
Last minute packing

How can guys get by with so little!???!  This is a 17 day trip and no plans to do laundry!  Its a miracle...




Time with Daddy one hour before he leaves for the airport. 





Daddy/Daughter moments



No comments:

Post a Comment